What is Commercial Trucking Insurance?
Transporting freight requires a significant capital investment, and driving comes with many potential liability risks. Commercial trucking insurance can help Massachusetts freight companies protect both their assets and themselves from a variety of perils.
Commercial trucking insurance is specialized commercial vehicle insurance that’s adapted to meet the needs of freight companies and similar businesses. Because these businesses face multiple risks, policies usually come with several coverages bundled together.
What Businesses in Massachusetts Need Commercial Truck Insurance?
Most Massachusetts businesses in the freight industry should carry commercial truck insurance. This tends to be the most applicable insurance for these businesses, and not carrying adequate coverage can leave businesses exposed to property, liability and legal risks.
Some examples of businesses that can likely benefit from this insurance include:
- Local and regional freight companies
- Long-distance and inter-state freight companies
- Long-haul truckers who operate as their own company
- Waste removal and recycling companies
- Moving companies that use tractor-trailers and/or box trucks
- Contractors who have commercial trucks
- Farmers and other agricultural businesses with commercial trucks
In some cases, businesses may need commercial truck insurance alongside other insurance products. Contractors and farmers often need this type of policy for their vehicles, but more coverages are usually needed to protect against other risks. In these situations, the commercial truck coverage might be purchased on its own or folded into a more expansive policy.